Max number of participants: 10 per home.
CAN CHILDREN GO ON A BUILDING TRIP?
Yes, please note the following:
- Minimum age to participate on a TECHO Build is 10 years old
- Adults are responsible for their children. If the parents are not traveling, they need to assign a chaperone
- There is and Adult-Children ratio:
- Max. 2 Children ages 10-15 with 1 Adult
- Max. 9 Teenagers ages 16-18 with 1 Adult
WHERE WOULD WE BE SLEEPING?
The logistics vary on each building trip. Sometimes we stay at the community (for one or two nights), or we stay at a hotel. The details will be found on the fundraising page for the build.
IS IT SAFE FOR MY FAMILY AND I TO VISIT AND WORK IN THE COMMUNITY?
Yes, TECHO builds in communities where our team has a history working in the area and residents are very familiar with our presence there. TECHO has built over 115,000+ houses with over 1MM volunteers.
To maintain this safety, it is very important to follow these recommendations:
- Every participant is welcome to buy their own international travelers insurance, a suggestion might be to check the Cultural Insurance Services International.
- While in the community, always wear the TECHO t-shirt.
- We recommend not walking around the community alone.
- The group has to arrive at the same time. No one is allowed to arrive after the group or leave alone before the departure.
- Don’t bring unnecessary valuables. While there’s no problem bringing your phone and using it to take pictures during the construction, please put it away when outside of your team’s lot.
- The water at the community is not safe to drink, please only drink the water provided by TECHO.
We are available at any time to talk with you about questions or concerns that you may have before the trip.
There will be no public nor special restrooms at the building site. Volunteers will share the bathroom that the beneficiary families own and use on a daily basis.
HOW LONG IS THE BUILDING TRIP?
4 days: 2 days of travel & 2 days of construction.
*** The build days may vary. Please make sure to review the build dates on the fundraising build page.
First day: Arrival to the country & the community
Second & third day: Construction days
Fourth day: Head back home
CAN I BUILD A HOUSE IF I DON’T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE?
Yes you can! Houses are prefabricated and easy to build. Each team building a transitional house will not only have a TECHO staff member as a guide but will also have manuals with instructions. Just be ready to work as a team.